The Stranger Inside by Jennifer Jaynes

32862495

Title: The Stranger Inside
Author: Jennifer Jaynes
Published: May 9, 2017
Publisher: Thomas and Mercer
Pages: 274
Genre: Mystery, Thriller
Review: ebook provided by NetGalley and publisher
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk 



In this tautly crafted tale of psychological suspense, a recently widowed mother resorts to the unthinkable to protect her shattered family. But does she go too far?
 After mystery author Diane Christie loses her husband to suicide, she and her son move to the small coastal town of Fog Harbor, Massachusetts. Her daughter is attending college nearby, and Diane hopes that her family can now begin to heal. But rebuilding their lives after the tragedy isn't so simple.
Diane's depressed college-age daughter, Alexa, still avoids her, critical of everything Diane does, and even her generally amiable teenage son, Josh, has started acting out. Diane pushes forward, focusing on her writing and her volunteer work at a local crisis hotline. She knows that healing takes time.
But then a girl from Alexa's college is found strangled. Worse still, the murderer uses the crisis hotline to confess to Diane . . . and claims she is the only one who can stop the killing. And just when the glow of new love from an attractive admirer begins to chase away some of the darkness, more girls turn up dead, and Diane races to solve a mystery she fears will hit terrifyingly close to home.



I received this book to give an honest review.

Oh man this was a page turner for me. I thought I had who was behind the murders  only to be hit by the last person I would have even thought of.
I love how the author used the named Fog Harbor as where our main character lives, to me it just sets the mood just right! 
So Diane is the mother of two older kids and a widow,  volunteer at a crisis center and is also a crime writer! 
She tries daily to take care of everyone especially her daughter who is fighting depression and knows that they have a rift between them that she wants to heal. It seems her daughter is still dealing with the loss of her dad from so many years ago and never got the help for it. It can change a person. 
Her son is what her daughter Alexa calls the "golden child" as he can never do wrong, but he too is not himself. 
When a murder hits close to home Diane is the one the killer reaches out too but why? How can she stop this killer as he gives no clues but the names of the females he kills. She writes thrillers for a living, but yet now she will find herself in the middle of one. 

Diane holds it all pretty well together which I was amazed at especially with her daughter Alexa treating her the way she does. I found myself thinking man if I did that to my momma, I would be limping. 
The characters were great, the plot was amazing! I really loved how the author did the killer to where she seemed to drop clues as to why he did what he did but yet not giving anything away. 
Now Diane was well written! The author made  her seem real like a normal person who has a normal life, if that makes sense. Diane was dealing with normal every day things in life, which I don't really see in older characters too much.
This book is a page turner if you like thrillers. The ending is not what I expected and it seems to leave it opened in a way that if she wanted to do a sequel she could? 


I’m a novelist, wife and mommy to the most wonderful twin four-year-olds on the planet.
While earning my Bachelor’s degree in Health Sciences at Old Dominion University and a certificate from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, I did a little bit of everything to pay the bills. I’ve been a gas station attendant, waitress, a dancing waitress, beer girl, shot girl, bartender, closing coordinator, executive assistant, medical assistant, EMT, content manager, webmaster, news publisher, editor, copywriter, weight loss coach and publishing consultant.
However, through it all, what I really wanted to be was a novelist.
It’s been a very long, and sometimes difficult road, but in 2011, I finally began living my dream with the release of my debut thriller, Never Smile at Strangers. To date, Never Smile at Strangers has earned a place on the USA Today Bestseller’s list, the #1 spot (across all categories) in the Barnes & Noble’s Nook Store, has graced the Top 5 in the mystery/suspense category in the Kindle Store multiple times, and has appeared in the Top 25 in the Kindle Store (across all categories).
In 2014, Thomas & Mercer acquired the rights to Never Smile at Strangers and re-released it January 2015. They also bought the rights to my second novel, Ugly Young Thing, and will release it March 2015.
I LOVE to connect with my readers. You can find me at www.ProjectJennifer.com, www.Facebook.com/NeverSmileatStrangers and www.Twitter.com/jenniferjaynes7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White