A Thorn Among the Lilies (Detective Leah Teal series #3) by Michael Hiebert


22859806

Title: A Thorn Among the Lilies
Author: Michael Hiebert
Published: Nov. 28, 2017
Publisher: Penguin Random House Publisher
Pages: 304
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Review: paperback own
Buy links: Amazon, Amazon.uk 


Detective Leah Teal is privy to most of the secrets in her hometown of Alvin, but there are always surprises to be had. Like the day she agrees to take her daughter, Caroline, to see a psychic for a reading. The psychic hones in on Leah instead, hinting at a string of gruesome killings and insisting that she intervene to prevent more deaths.
When you go looking for trouble, you never know how much you’ll find. Sure enough, the psychic’s scant clues lead Leah to a cold case from six years ago, when a young woman was found shot to death, her eyelids sewn shut. As Leah digs deeper into old files, a second unsolved case surfaces with the same grisly pattern. While her shrewd young son, Abe, observes from the sidelines, Leah races to prevent another horrific murder, unaware of just how deep the roots of evil can go.

So my husband bought this book for me and I was excited to start reading it. 
I didn't realize that it was a series so I when I saw that it was I was hoping I wasn't going to miss out on too much and of course I didn't. So I think this series could be read as a stand-alone.

So for the storyline, I liked the whole psychic way of how Detective Teal was able to solve the case. I did kind of wonder why the prologue was the way it was but then it all made sense towards the end. Which was pretty neat. 
Detective Teal will have to work quickly with the help of another Detective to find how who is abducting and killing women. It might actually surprise you because I was kind of surprised myself at who the killer was.
While Teal is trying to solve the murder, her child along with his friend try to investigate as well. Which you know is going to be too funny with them trying not to get caught. 
One thing I didn't really get is why her daughter and her boyfriend seemed to play a semi-big part in the book. Her boyfriend seems kind of shady when I was reading about him so I wonder if something is going to happen later on in a different book or if that is just how he is in general. 
I did like how the murders were described not overly gory but just good enough to give you that visual. 



Michael Hiebert
Michael Hiebert is the award-winning author of many books and short stories. He is the author of Dream with Little Angels, the first book of his acclaimed Alvin, Alabama Mystery Series. His recent work includes The Rose Garden Arena Incident (A Serial Thriller in Seven Parts) and Sometimes the Angels Weep, his first collection of short stories. He won the Surrey International Writers’ Conference Storyteller Award two years running, and his story My Lame Summer Journal by Brandon Harris, Grade 7 was listed by Joyce Carol Oates as one of the top fifty most distinguished mystery stories published in The Best American Mystery Stories. He lives in British Columbia, Canada, with his three children and dog, Chloe.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White